Art & Anglophilia

Nothing weighty here...just the musings of a girl trying to find the art in the ordinary

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Arabesque


Is this not the most amazing arabesque you have ever seen? I'm not even sure who the dancer is, though it somewhat resembles Gillian Murphy. What incredible lines she creates! Just like anything else, I think dancers and non-dancers would look at this differently. Being a former dancer myself, the first thing I would think about is her right foot, and how much weight is sitting on the box of her pointe shoe. This picture actually looks kind of stressful to me, because I know what it takes to keep your back leg straight, your hips square, and your neck long all at the same time. Not to mention how strong this girl must be to keep her back leg at that height. But when I step back and try to view it from a non-dancer's perspective, she really looks weightless, doesn't she? It's so ironic, how much blood, sweat, and tears it takes to make something look so effortless. The product is well worth it, though, if it looks like this.

2 Comments:

  • At 7:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I sort of disagree. While I admire the strength and such it takes to hold such a form, I was never much into the symbolism of ballet. To me she doesn't look weightless. She looks beautiful, just not weightless

     
  • At 7:22 PM, Blogger Abby said…

    Well no one asked you, Erik.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home